Asbestos is an extremely dangerous mineral that can cause death.
There are many different kinds of asbestos, but here are the main forms: Anthophyllite, Tremolite, Actinolite, Serpentine, and Amphibole.
All of them are extremely dangerous, can cause and have caused fatal illness. The most common illness caused by Asbestos (but by far not the only) is Mesothelioma. Mesothelioma is a long term disease that is caused by asbestos but symptoms are not shown until later in life. Children who have been exposed to Asbestos don’t show symptoms until later.
Asbestos can be found in but not limited to the following items:
- old floor tiles
- ceiling tiles
- roof shingles
- pipe cement
- joint compound used on seams between pieces of sheetrock
- Popcorn Ceilings
- Piping Insulation
- HVAC ducts
- Roof Shingles
- Attic Insulation
- Boiler Insulation
- Newer houses may also contain Asbestos as it hasn’t been fully outlawed
- Patching compounds used on walls and ceilings
- Walls and floors in HVAC/ High heat- flammability areas of may be protected with asbestos paper, millboard, or cement sheets
- Boiler /furnaces and door gaskets
- Fire and Heat-resistant fabrics